Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Blogging: A Literacy Project

I implemented my literacy project with my third and fifth grade ELL students. I created a class blog through Kidblog and my students have been using it to practice their reading and writing in English. 


During a read-aloud, I read my students the book A Balloon for Isabel, a lovely story about a young porcupine who would do ANYTHING to receive a balloon for graduation. As I read the book, I encouraged students to dig deeper into the text by analyzing character emotions and choices of actions.

After reading, I asked students to reflect on different elements of the story. What was their favorite part, and why? What was the theme of the story? I also encouraged them to think of their own "why" questions about the story and its characters, then post these questions for their peers to answer them. 

I've been noticing how much my students like blogging. Although it's all in English, and most of them are beginners in English proficiency, their excitement for reading what others have posted to them does not go unnoticed. This blog is allowing them to respond to literature while also practicing their reading and writing in English. They are collaborating with each other and communicating through media. 

I'm excited to keep going with this blog in my class to see what other things they come up with to write about! 

For privacy purposes, I am not sharing our whole class blog in this blog post, but I would be happy to share it with everyone during our class! 

Here is the link to our blog so you can see the overview of it and how many comments they have been posting! 

No comments:

Post a Comment