Sunday, February 3, 2013

Blogging and Multiple Literacies

I was surprised to see that Karen, a first grade teacher, was able to set up a blog with her young students. But then again, why should I be? Children as young as first grade, maybe even younger, may have a better grasp at some of these new technologies than most adults. The way of the world is changing as far as literacy goes, so why not begin blogging with students as young as first grade? Blogging gives students a sense of pride because others are reading and commenting on their writing. This is a great way to promote engagement and motivation in the youngest writers.Karen includes pictures of her students into her blog. This is a great way to show parents and others what you are doing in your classroom.



As far as global awareness, I thought that The Global Read Aloud was very cool. Students are able to blog and communicate with other kids from all different parts of the world. It's crazy to think that we are really just a click away from people in Europe, or Australia, or China! What a great way for students to stay connected and learn from kids they have never met! I've heard of teachers using Skype with their students to connect to other classrooms around the world. Also very cool!

In her article, Online Collaborative Inquiry: Classroom Blogging Ventures and Multiple Literacies, Judy states that blogging serves all purposes with regard to technology standards for students. When blogging, students are constantly reading other people's work (thoughts, ideas) and in turn, commenting on their blogs which enhances their own writing. They are also practicing writing for an audience when they create their own blogs or comment on others. There is a different feeling that comes with knowing that your writing is reaching others. I'm sure that when students first read a comment someone has posted on their blog, they will feel a sense of pride in their work, knowing that others are interested in what they have to say (or write). Blogging is a great way for students to communicate with their peers, teachers, and perhaps others out there who read and comment on their blogs. They can start to make connections by having this new sense of communication with others. Blogging gives students a voice: a voice that can reach anyone across the globe. This is a very powerful thing!

2 comments:

  1. Diana, thank you for including me in this blog post. It's funny when I first thought about setting up a class blog never once did the thought cross my mind to have my students blogging too. But then, one week into the new school year, I came across a few student blogs and I couldn't believe what i was seeing. Of course I had to do that too! As I say in my video, I can't imagine not having blogging as a part of my grade one classroom program. And now, with access to iPads it is even EASIER for my students to be completely independent with their blogging. That is music to my ears. Karen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Diana, I also really enjoyed the Global Read Aloud Project. I have many students from different countries and yet my class as a whole doesn't have any concept of where they are in relation to other people around the world. They are also very interested in other cultures. It thought this would be a great way to incorporate my ELL students.

    ReplyDelete