Saturday, February 2, 2013

Blogs and Wikis

After reading these two chapters, I have a bit of a debate going on in my mind.... blogs vs. wikis. I can see great benefits to both, though for some reason, wikis make me a bit nervous when thinking about using them in the classroom. My main concern (apparently the same as many others out there) is that anyone can post anything at anytime. Anything. This raises a red flag for me.. Richardson did well explaining that there are ways to approach creating a wiki with students in safe ways. Sometimes only students themselves can edit. This rules out the possibility of random readers adding whatever they want. Louise Maine's wiki uses this approach. Wikis allow the option for a password/login system which I think is great. Much safer in my opinion. I may want to use wikis with my students eventually. I might not be quite there yet, though. I would rather start with using blogs. There are some cool examples of wikis included in this chapter. Some I thought were interesting were the Recipes Wiki and Traveling Wiki. I do love the idea that so many people can come together and share their thoughts/ideas on one page.



Incorporating Blogs into Instruction

I've started thinking about ways I might incorporate blogs into my instruction. I agree with Richardson that the first step to using a blog in your own teaching is to practice with blogging by creating your own first. Teachers should practice blogging before trying to teach kids how to blog. Last year at USJ I created a blog on digital citizenship for my technology for learning course. Click here if you want to take a look at it. It was a fun project!

This year I am teaching language arts with third and fifth graders. Recently we've been coming up with deep questions to ask of ourselves as we read our texts. For homework and during class, I've been having my students read their books and mark down questions they are asking of themselves as they read. These questions should reflect critical thinking. What a great idea it would be to create a class blog and have students respond for homework rather than doing everything paper/pencil. My fifth graders could publish their poems on our class blog, then read each other's poems and comment on them. Ideally, all students would have their own computers at home. This isn't always the case, but there are ways to work around that. Perhaps we could take time each week to go to the computer lab and blog.

Blog Safety

Blog safety is very important. Richardson suggests having students create pseudonyms so they don't use their real names on the blog. I took a course in undergrad where we blogged as part of our homework. We created usernames so our identities remained anonymous. This also opens up a new feeling of freedom. Students can write without fear of judgment.

With blogs, I like the feature that allows the teacher to revise any posting first before it is published. Teachers also have the power to accept or reject an outside source form posting on the blog. This is a very important feature when blogging within schools. I may not use blogger with students. Some good alternatives are Edublogs or Kid Blogs. They seem a bit more kid-friendly.

Am I not being open minded enough with the wikis? I'd love to hear if anyone has used them with their students. How did you use them? Did you find the experience beneficial? What did you like or dislike about wikis?

Sources:
Richardson, W. (2010). Blogs, wikis, podcasts, and other powerful web tools for classrooms. Thousand Oaks, CA: Corwin.

4 comments:

  1. Diana, I like and agree with a lot of your points in the previous post! I really like how blogs have the feature to revise any posting before it's published, however, wikis don't really provide the same bridge to the internet.

    I feel like wikis are more appropriate for educators and administrators to use as a communication system, but I as well would like to hear of success stories with wikis in the classroom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Diana, I'm sorry I can't provide insight into the Wiki. However I too am having a hard time buying into it. I am just warming up to the idea of having my students blog. It feels more secure and controlled. I also feel as though I can win over parent support by introducing just one concept. As for the Wikis, I may introduce the topic and explain to my students why I chose not to use it. Perhaps they will come up with a great reason why we should!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Diana,

    I checked out your blog from EDUC 536 on digital citizenship. Lots of back and forth conversation. Not sure I find the black background easy to read off of, but that is just me. Still, I am impressed by all the conversations the topics provoked and wondering if all students got that much response on their blogs. For that matter, I am not sure if Professor Nicole Feeney had each student keep a separate blog. If so, and all of those blogs generated the volume of back and forth you had on this blog, you all must have been busy.

    Thanks for the link,

    J. Arzt

    ReplyDelete
  4. Technology blog will provide readers with product reviews, which help them to understand and decide on what type of device would be better suited to their needs.

    Tech Blog

    ReplyDelete