Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Literacies vs. Technologies?

This quote struck me as a little confusing when I first read it: "Keeping up with technologies is not as important as keeping up with literacies." I guess the first thing I thought was, literacy is such a big part of technology. Doesn't keeping up with technology also mean you're keeping up with literacies?

Then I thought about it from a different angle. Literacy itself is more important than understanding technology. There are plenty of teachers and students who are high readers but may not know anything about technology. In life, technology isn't going to mean much to you if you lack in literacy.

I think it's important to keep these two connected. Literacy is such an important part of education and life in general. And technology is a tool that when used appropriately can be very effective in achieving higher levels of literacy. The concern, I guess, is that we shouldn't get too carried away with keeping up with technology and paying less attention to literacy. 

I hope I'm making sense. What are your thoughts on this quote? I'd love to hear other people's reactions and thoughts.  


1 comment:

  1. I think technology has its own type of literacy; not only do you need to know how to maneuver the concrete apparatuses of technology (keyboard, touchscreens and such), but the language used in technology, while common in some rights, is so specific to certain programs and applications! In other words, technology can be a beneficial approach to educational literacy (reading, writing and comprehension) and be a unique type of literacy in itself. We do, as a matter of fact, refer to people as 'computer literate'!

    ReplyDelete