Monday, February 18, 2013

Podcasting (School Radio)

Would You Podcast?

Remember watching "Saved By The Bell?" I used to watch this show all the time. It's a bit dated now, but for those of us who remember, the show touched on a lot of relevant issues and was very relatable! While reading Richardson's chapter on Podcasts, I remembered the episode of "Saved By The Bell" when Zack and his friends discovered the old radio station of their school. They convinced their principal to let them start up the station again and they each took on roles during their radio show. Slater wanted to do the sports segment, and much to everyone's surprise, he was not a very good DJ. It wasn't until the end of the episode that Slater found his "voice." 

From what I remember about the episode was that Zack and his friends had a great time putting on a radio show for their classmates. It gave them a voice and they were able to reach the student body more easily with important news and events. I think this is what podcasting is all about. Richardson explains that students can connect through audio media. 

Being from Madrid myself, one particular podcast site caught my attention: Madrid Young Learners Podcasts. Reading about "tapas" and "Madrid night life" brought me back!

Has anyone tried using podcasts in their schools? I'd love to hear about it!

Sources:
Richardson, W. (2010). Blogs, wikis, podcasts, and other powerful web tools for classrooms. Thousand Oaks, CA: Corwin. 

1 comment:

  1. I totally remember that episode! I completely agree with you- they were all very excited to connect to their classmates and discuss issues that were important to them. As a paraprofessional, I think podcasting and other audio/media equipment would be very beneficial in the special ed room in which I work. Many of these children need different outlets to help them learn rather than traditional pencil/paper tasks.

    ReplyDelete