Monday, February 18, 2013

What is Flickr?

When I first started reading about Flickr, the first things I thought of were Google images and Instagram. I use Google images all the time, and though I don't use Instagram myself, I know of people who do. To be completely honest, this semester is the first I've heard of Flickr.

After reading about Flickr in Richardson's book, I came across something cool that I could actually incorporate with my ELL students. I learned that Flickr is a place to search images and also upload your own if you become a member. One of his ideas is that teachers can start online discussions about images they upload and students can comment on what they see (p.105). This would be a great tool to use with my ELL students to teach vocabulary. 

Richardson also mentions that students and teachers can use Flickr to upload pictures of vacations they take (p.107). What a great way to stay connected and share experiences with your classmates!

Another cool idea was Flickr Magazine Cover where students can use their photos to create a magazine cover. This would be great for a project!

What are your experiences with Flickr? Please share! 

Sources:
Richardson, W. (2010). Blogs, wikis, podcasts, and other powerful web tools for classrooms. Thousand Oaks, CA: Corwin. 
 

1 comment:

  1. I have used Google Images in the past, but have seen Flickr and Instagram used on FB an awful lot lately. I think it's worth looking into!

    ReplyDelete